A delicious, creamy soup (without any cream!)that's simple and easy to make. The best mushrooms to use are portobella for a nice strong flavour, but any will do. I used chestnut. There are plenty of variations you can add, so I'll list the basic recipes, then the options I added.
Cooking time...erm...there's a lot of mushrooms, so that's a lot of chopping. Cooking itself only takes about 30 minutes.
600ml milk (your choice, but I used semi-skimmed)
Butter for frying
1 tbsp flour for thickening
1 large onion
1 generous tsp of dried thyme
A clove or 2 of garlic
100ml strong stock
* Chop the mushrooms (and onions) finely. Heat some butter in a saucepan that will carry your soup.
* Fry onions and garlic for 5 minutes until soft, then add the mushrooms and thyme and fry for a further 5 minutes, or until soft.
* Lower the heat and stir in the flour.
* Add the milk and stock, bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes
* Whiz in a food processor or use a hand blender.