My favourite food from childhood, I used to get fed this as a baby. It's perfect comfort food, and the way this one is done is a little less heavy than most other recipes you'd find. Use your favourite cheese on the top; i used Gruyere for a punchy flavour with a relatively small amount.
Preparation time 30 - 40 mins
2 pint/ 1.1L milk
2 tbsp plain flour
65g Parmesan or similar cheese
Grated cheese for sprinkling on top
250g macaroni pasta
A generous teaspoon of pureed garlic - optional
A couple of bay leaves - optional
Dried bread crumbs - optional
Preheat oven to 200C
* Cook the macaroni in salted boiling water for 8-10 mins, or 2 mins less than the packet recommends
* Make the white sauce (See my white sauce recipe!) and mix in the parmesan and optional extras once the sauce has boiled.
* Put the pasta into an ovenproof dish and pour the sauce on top (I added a layer of tinned sweetcorn for some veggies)
* Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly on top (and the breadcrumbs, if using)
* Bake for up to 10 - 15 mins, best to keep an eye on it and make sure it isn't getting too dry or burnt.
* You could stick it under the grill afterwards fr an extra couple of minutes for extra crispiness